Saturday, December 8, 2012

Crafts galore

My husband thinks I am off my rocker. I have been on a creative frenzy for the past couple of months. So far I have made a knitted baby blanket, sweater and hat set. From there I started on an Advent calendar. In the midst of making the Advent calendar, I made a Merry Christmas banner and a tacky wreath for our front door.

The baby set is for a friend of mine. I am very happy with the way everything turned out. The sweater gave me a little bit of trouble. I had to take both front panels apart a couple of times. But I think over all, I am really happy with it. Plus, it's supper soft!  

 
 
I think I have been spending a little too much time on Pinterest.  So many wonderful ideas, and so little time to do them all!  I have been on the hunt for an Advent calendar that I like.  There are similar calendars out there, but you have to fill the pockets or drawers with items on a yearly basis.  I was really excited when I stumbled upon this one here.  I really like the idea of hanging up the ornaments on the tree as you count down to Christmas.  I still have ten more ornaments to make.  Oy vey, I might actually get this done before Christmas.  "Might" is the key word in that sentence.  




 
I have been receiving an impressive amount of catalogs as of late.  It's fun to look at all the pretty things.  I ran across a similar banner in Land of Nod.  I looked at it and thought to myself, I can totally make that.  I have a ton of left over felt from my Advent calendar project and this helped use some of it up!  The rather entertaining part of making the banner was trying to starch a couple of the letters.  The "E," "C" and "S" needed a little extra help.  I started off with spray starch, and that didn't work.  So I moved on to a cooked corn starch method.  Holy Hot Mess, Batman!  Let's leave it at, it was an interesting experience and I managed to figure out how to detach them from the towel that they had adhered to with minimum damage.  
 

Once again, I was on Pinterest, and found a ribbon wreath.  It looked easy to put together and I thought it would be a fun addition to our holiday decor.  Initially I wanted to make a red wreath, but couldn't find the right color red.  I had picked up some horribly tacky blue tinsel trees that I stuck in front of the door, so I figured blue would be a good second choice.  I added some silver in to be a little more festive.  My theory is, if you are going to be tacky, you might as well go big with it. 
 
I sill have a few more projects on the back burner.  Last year I dried orange slices for ornaments, and I would like to do that again this year.  I also want to make cinnamon ornaments.  Then I want to make a felt tree to put on the wall so Pookie can put felt ornaments on it and decorate it.  Hopefully it will keep him away from the actual Christmas tree. 

1 comment:

  1. What fun! Homemade decorations are always the best. Our family made tons of stuff when we were kids! Your advent calendar is particularly darling. :) And you'll have it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete