Friday, March 16, 2012

Pookie's hollow leg

I am starting to think that Pookie has a hollow leg.  Or maybe he's just a bottomless pit.  Either way, he eats.  A lot.  I've gotten stuck in a rut with what to feed him.  His list of foods that he has an issue with is growing.  I kind of hesitate to call it an allergy.  Pookie turns this bright shade of red and then he gets a diaper rash.  When it's really bad, his neck and ears turn red too.  Whenever that happens, I pause for a moment.  Trying to remember where I stashed the benadryl just in case Pookie starts itching and weezing. 

My latest task is to find a form of milk that he can drink.  There is a two fold issue going on.  Not only do I have to find something that he can tolerate, it needs to be something that he likes.  Pookie can get oddly fussy about what he consumes.  I *think* vanilla rice milk will do the trick.  So far we have tried:
cow's milk - allergy
goat's milk - allergy
rice milk - didn't like
soy milk - allergy
hemp milk - didn't like
coconut milk - allergy
sun milk - didn't like
almond milk - didn't like
vanilla coconut milk - he LOVED, but then I realized that he was having an issue with it. blah.
vanilla almond milk - he also LOVED, but then I realized that he was having an issue with it.  double blah!
vanilla rice milk - the jury is still out.
I have hazelnut milk, too.  But if he's having issues with the almond milk, I think he'll have issues with the hazelnut.

My big dilemma is what to make for dinner.  To find something that all of us will eat and that has some variety to it.  Pookie has a tendency to get a little disgruntled if we're eating something different from him.  I can't say that I blame him.  Not being able to eat what everyone else is, sucks.  I really can't complain.  When I was little, I was allergic to everything but bananas, sprite and graham crackers.  I think I could also have Cream of Wheat.  My youngest brother takes the cake.  When my brother was little, he had issues with corn.  Corn is in everything.  Soy being a close second.  Pookie does have issues with soy.  However, if it's been baked and in a small quantity, it seems to go over okay. 

On the flip side Pookie loves blueberries and sweet potatoes.  I think he could eat his weight in both of those foods!  I keep waiting for the day that Pookie turns a lovely shade of blue.  As long as he doesn't blow up like Violet Beauregarde, I think Pookie will be okay. 

1 comment:

  1. You know . . . he doesn't HAVE to drink milk, as long as he's getting calcium from other sources!

    I've seen hemp milk, too, and hemp is a seed, so that shouldn't trigger a tree nut allergy, eh?

    ReplyDelete