Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pookie's Mom

I have acquired a new name. Actually, I've had it for a little over a year at this point. My new name is now and probably will forever be, Pookie's Mom. On one hand this really irks me. I have a name, it's Marie. It took me a while to like my first name. Now that I actually like it, I would like to keep it. Thank you in advance. I fully realize that it is much easier to just refer to me as Pookie's Mom, rather than remember my first name. Just think of the horror, having to remember two names instead of just one! Eek! However, I am in no position to really complain about this. I have a horrible time remembering names. 

Recently, I was talking with another mom.  She was saying how she is always referred to as (fill-in-the-blank)'s Mom.  Now that her daughter is 19, she feels a sense of pride that her daughter likes her to be referred to as that.  Her daughter is proud that her mom is her mom.  My brain started whirling.  Back in the day, people were called the "son of", aka Erickson, Davidson... you get the point.  The Son of Eric, the Son of David.  It's a way of saying where you come from.  In an odd way, being "Pookie's Mom" is like that, only in reverse.  It's a way of saying that we belong to each other.  Frankly, that is a good thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment