Sunday, May 13, 2012

Stairs

I had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I don't think I could have asked for anything better.  Pookie let me sleep in a little bit.  We are night owls, Pookie and I, it helps that we are on a similar schedule.  We had a nice leisurely breakfast and had a lovely chat with Pookie's Uncle R.  Rob had to work to catch up on maintenance and his brother helped him out.  So Uncle R stopped by to say hello to his favorite nephew.  Once we all got ready, we headed over to my Aunt's house for barbecue.  In addition to it being Mother's Day, it is also Auntie's birthday!  How can you beat a day with barbecue AND cake? 

We had a lazy day, sitting on the back deck, chatting about what-not.  I managed to get Pookie down for a nap.  Life is good!  After Pookie's nap, it was time for cake and presents.  I figured it would be a good idea to change Pookie's diaper before we sat down to cake.  After we sung Happy Birthday, away Pookie and I went.  We went about our business and as I was cleaning up, I put Pookie down.  Figuring he would stay with me.  Really, by now I should know better. 

Auntie's house is a split.  There are stairs to go from the front door to the main living area.  Of course Pookie is beyond interested in these stairs.  However there are two problems.  One, Pookie has not mastered the art of going down stairs.  Two, there are no railings on the stairs, so I can not put up a baby gate to keep Pookie in.  As I was cleaning things up, I heard the holler of POOKIE, STOP!  Yes, my child was at the top of the stairs and decided to take the fast way down.  Oy Vey.  It took several minutes to calm him down.  I think Pookie was more afraid of everyone yelling than falling down the stairs.  Either way, he came out fine, just a small bruise on his forehead and a red mark next to his eye.  He was back to his usual cheerful self in no time!  I'm thinking that sometime this week a very sturdy railing will be going up at Auntie's house.  Maybe one with a baby gate built in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment