Monday, January 21, 2013

Pookie the goat

Tasty book
My child eats everything.  Books, wooden spoons, blankets, socks, his crib... You get the picture.  Poor kid is getting all four of his two year molars in.  They have been creating quite a bit of havoc.  Who would have thought that these little teeth would cause such a ruckus?  Between a lack of naps and interesting wake up calls in the middle of the night, I can not wait for these horrible teeth to arrive.  Maybe then, I can put Pookie to bed and not come back to holes chewed through his blanket.  Or better yet, his shirt.


Shirt after Pookie's nap.
I can deal with the eaten books and random pieces of cardboard, but the chewed clothing needs to stop.  We were driving along the other day and I heard the familiar sound of material being ripped.  He was chewing on his coat.  Chewing isn't the right word.  I can understand chewing.  Pookie, however, grabs a chunk of material between his teeth and pulls.  It's like he is having a tug of war between himself and his teeth.  Pookie teeth make a horrible clacking noise once the material is ripped from them.  I suppose this may be a smidge better than Pookie grinding his teeth.  Not by much, just a little smidge.  At least I can tell him to stop when we are driving in the car.  When I put him down for a nap we have a couple of issues going on.  One, he doesn't sleep, and two, he chews holes in his cloths when left unattended.
Wooden fork

Apparently, I shouldn't be too surprised by this behavior.  My mother remembers chewing on her crib as well as other wooden surfaces when she was little.  She liked the feel of her teeth sinking into the wood.  It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that she did manage to outgrow that phase.  Although, in college I lived across the hall from a guy that chewed on his shirt.  Hopefully Pookie will outgrow this sooner rather than later.  I thank my lucky stars that Pookie is not an actual goat, otherwise I think my entire house would be completely chewed. 

2 comments:

  1. Does he spit out the bits of fabric, or ingest them? I am hoping you haven't had "interesting" diapers to change lately!
    P.S. this is really funny. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes he eats it and sometimes he spits it out. My favorite was when he had a chunk of his shirt stuck in between his teeth. I managed to get it out using tweezers, but I had a moment when I thought we might have to go to the ER over that one.
      Miss you, too!

      Delete