Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Topsfield Fair

Over the weekend we were able to go to the Topsfield Fair.  People put so much time and energy into growing and caring for the animals and vegetables.  It's nice to see people put pride into their work.  My favorite part is seeing the horses.  Oh, and the Kettle Corn is really yummy, too.  Which is only to be outdone by the fried dough.  One of the things that I really miss about the Midwest is the bratwurst.  Whenever you go to a cookout or a fair there is always brats and sauerkraut.  In New England all I can find are Italian sausage with peppers.  I know, it's a regional thing.  Plus, I know I'm completely dissing my Italian heritage, but I don't like Italian sausage.  It's the anise seeds, I'm not a fan of licorice.  I had a very yummy pulled pork sandwich to make up for the missing brats! 

Pookie had a wonderful time.  We almost didn't make it, because I pushed back his nap so he would sleep in the car.  That led to a rather frustrated hubby and a cranky baby.  Good thing the cranky baby was taken care of by a nice nap in the car.  Pookie was a real trouper.  He only fussed once at the fair, and that was because he was rather hungry.  Pookie had a great time looking at all of the animals.  He got to pet a Clydesdale horse, named Jay.  We then went on to check out a goat with really small ears.  Then at the end of the day we got to watch the six horse hitch finals.  Pookie got a real kick out of seeing all the teams going by.  I'm not sure if he was more excited about the horses or the sea of people.  Pookie loves to people watch!

I think the most wonderful thing about the fair, was the nursing mothers' lounge.  I don't mind feeding Pookie in public.  Pookie however, has different plans in mind.  He has the attention span of a goldfish and he gets distracted very easily.  Which makes feeding him a bit of a pain.  I was kind of excited about checking out the mothers' lounge, I'm not going to kid you.  It was rather basic, with padded bench seating and it was hot as hades in there.  One of the really wonderful things was the lady standing outside, making sure that you were going in to nurse and keeping the guys out.  The thing that really wowed me however, was the table with handmade bears on it.  There was a sign above the table saying to take one for the baby, as well as one for any siblings of the baby.  That completely restored my faith in humanity.  Lord knows how many of these bears were made.  One of the other mom's said that this was her third time using the lounge, and the first time she actually saw bears on the table.  I grabbed one for Pookie.  It's nothing fancy, but it makes me smile every time that I look at it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment