Monday, October 3, 2011

My favorite time of day

I am a night owl, through and through.  I love being up at night.  It's calm, the world is quiet, and I feel like I can think.  I come up with some of my best ideas while brushing my teeth.  Mornings on the other hand, are horrible.  I don't want to talk to you, everything is a blur and everything is too loud.  Anyone I have ever lived with knows to give me a wide birth in the morning, and not to talk to me.  I will not answer you.  I might grunt at you though, if what you have said requires some form of response.  I don't really wake up until 10 am.  There is a visible shift in my personality that happens then.  It's quite remarkable.  All of a sudden, I'm more awake. 

Seeing as I have a 8 1/2 month old, my schedule is on it's head.  Luckily, Pookie is a night owl like me.  Things could be a lot worse!  So, all of those hormones that are currently wreaking havoc on my life.  Some of them actually come in handy with the whole, "being a mother" bit.  One of the benefits that I've noticed, is the ability to wake up out of a sound sleep and the smallest peep out of Pookie.  Followed by the ability to be rather intelligent at those 4 am wake up calls.  Biology helps you out in really funny ways. 

I have almost come to love the middle of the night (aka early morning) feedings.  The house is quiet.  Everyone is sleeping, except for Pookie and me.  The only light is coming from the small light over the sink.  Everything is calm.  I feel like we are in this bubble.  Sometimes Rob is just getting up as Pookie and I are going back to bed.    Pookie is sleeping through the night on more of a regular basis.  There are still some nights that he might wake up once or twice.  But sometimes he sleeps right through.  Because those middle of the night feedings are becoming slightly less frequent, I am cherishing them more.  Now, of course now that I've said this, Pookie will be up all night for the next week!  I know that the day will come when the night feedings stop completely.  It will be nice to have uninterrupted sleep.  However, until that day arrives, I will try to enjoy the ones I have left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment