Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm back!

Well, dear reader, I'm back!  My tonsils are gone and we have gone on vacation.  It's been a busy month! 

My surgery went really well.  However, the hospital misplaced my mother.  Well, she wasn't lost exactly, but they forgot about her.  I get out of surgery and after a period of time in the recovery section, I got wheeled up to a room.  I was fairly well out of it at this point.  I have a really hard time waking up from anesthesia.  The two ladies that were wheeling me up to my room said that they were going to grab my mom and bring her with us.  Apparently there was a change of plans and they said that they were going to send someone for her after we get to the room.  Two hours later, after asking a couple of different people to find my mom, she finally appears in my room.  Yep, they had forgotten about her.  She was rather peeved by that point, because she had been making an effort to check in at the desk in the waiting room every hour.  Apparently there was a shift change and the information got lost in the shuffle.  Or something like that. 

Anyway, they gave me really good drugs that made me ill.  Then they gave me different really good drugs and extra acid reducers and I felt a lot better.  Let me tell you, a tonsillectomy is an interesting thing to go through.  On one hand, going though unmedicated labor for 32 hours was more painful, but I think the 9+ days of what felt like nasty strep throat and a double ear infection might take the cake. 

My mom rocks, she came out for two weeks to take care of me and Pookie.  My mom (Grandma) and Pookie had a fabulous time together.  Pookie was her little buddy.  It was a lot of fun to watch the two of them together.  Considering that I slept for the first week and a half, they had a lot of bonding time together.  Pookie would come in to check on me from time to time.  Just to make sure I hadn't disappeared again.  He would come over, say "MAMA" and pat me, then run off.  By the end of the two weeks, I was feeling well enough to help put Pookie to bed.  I told him it was time to brush his teeth and he ran past me to Grandma.  Silly Mama, apparently Grandma is the "go to" lady! 

Pookie was VERY sad when Grandma left.  I think he moped for a week.  There was one day when he was just having one melt down after another and I asked him if he missed Grandma.  He nodded his head yes, so I gave Grandma a call and the two of them had a chat.  That is to say, Grandma talked and Pookie listened.  Although, Pookie did nod at appropriate times in their conversation.  I think he felt a lot better after getting to talk to her.  Grandma also went out and got one of the recordable books from Hallmark.  Pookie has been having so much fun with it!  On a funny side note, the book knows what page it is on due to light sensors.  Sometimes the book will start reading the wrong page.  Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment