Friday, December 16, 2011

Dinner, KABOOM!

Dinnertime is generally a hectic time in our household.  Pookie likes to be nursed around 5pm, which puts a small kink in my dinner making plans.  Especially considering Rob is hungry by about 5:30.  My goal is to get Pookie situated and dinner on the table by a reasonable time.  Some days are better than others.  Today, Pookie has been a little picky about what he is eating.  I can understand, finger foods generally feel different from their pureed format.  For dinner, I was making taco's for Rob and myself.  Pookie doesn't like rice, and I thought the taco's would be a little too spicy for him.  So, I figured I would make him something different.  Stop and Shop had these really cute little mini sweet potatoes.  They are just Pookie sized!  I stuck one in the microwave to heat up, while I cut up some blueberries for Pookie.  Pookie is a little on the fence about blueberries, but considering the list of red foods that he is having problems with, I'm trying to push the blueberries. 

I striped Pookie down.  That way I wouldn't have blueberry stains all over his cloths.  I plunked him in his chair, and gave him the bowl of blueberries.  I turned around to work on dinner and I heard a crash.  Apparently, Pookie had enough of the blueberries, and sent them flying.  As I was picking them up off the floor, I smelt something funny.  Yep, it was the sweet potato.  I turned around to see the microwave.  It was filled with smoke, with a plume wafting towards the ceiling.  Oh No!  I popped open the microwave, turned on the blower, turned on the ceiling fan, opened the door and flung open the window.  I turned to the microwave and pulled out this sad little potato.  It was shriveled up and smoking from one side.  It looked so sad.

With the sweet potato down the garbage, I went to the fridge and pulled out leftovers.  I re-heated some beef and vegetable potpie and gave it to Pookie.  Who proceeded to cover himself with it.  Then decided to play his favorite game of peek-a-boo, using his bib.  That was covered with bits of food, so every time he pulled it up to cover his face, food went flying.  Rob and I have decided that we need to install tile and a floor drain in a corner so we can just hose Pookie down when he finishes eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment