Thursday, January 12, 2012

Birthday Battle Plan (or lack thereof)

Pookie will be turning 1 next week.  I am woefully unprepared.  I kept thinking to myself that I would deal with Pookie's birthday after Christmas.  Well, now it's after Christmas and I need to pull a rabbit out of thin air.  Good thing I work well under pressure.  The problem really boils down to, where to put people.  We have a small ranch style house.  I can only fit so many people in it.  It doesn't help that there are a lot of people that I would like to invite.  Now, some would say, just stick to immediate family.  Slight problem though.  My family is in Michigan.  I have grown very close to two of my aunts and their families, and they have filled in the gaps missing from having my family far away.  Even if we are talking about close family, that's still a lot of people.  Where am I going to stick them?  My original thought was the garage.  After all, it is almost the same size as the house, with an open floor plan to boot!  Rob vetoed that idea very quickly.  Back to square one.

In addition to my housing dilemma, I need decorations.  This is, after all, a first birthday.  First birthdays are a special event.  Pookie has made it one whole year!  Yay!  This is a reason to celebrate!  I would also like it to look good!  Yes, I fully realize that Pookie will never remember this.  But I still want it to be special.  I googled 1st birthday parties.  Some people really go all out.  I really felt like a slacker.  After a little bit of sticker shock with a few of the parties tid-bits to fancy them up, I realized that I didn't have to be fancy to create a good day for Pookie.  Followed by the realization that next year I really need to be on my A-game to do some DIY to make things look good.  I get a little irked when I look at something and think, "Oh ya, I can make that!", followed by "Do I have the time and inclination to pull it off?"  I have a few things bouncing around in my head for Pookie's birthday.  Now to form a battle plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment