Friday, July 22, 2011

Not for the faint of heart

I would like to start off by saying that I am getting on my soapbox for this blog.  I would like to apologize in advance.

There is nothing natural about breastfeeding.  There, I've said it, and if you ask anyone that knows anything about it, they'll agree with me.  It is something that both the mom and baby need to learn, and there is quite the learning curve.  If the baby doesn't have a proper latch, let me tell you, it HURTS!  This was something that I wanted to do and was determined to accomplish.  But it isn't for everybody. 

I am a breastfeeding mom.  I made that choice for a variety of reasons.  Including, but not limited to:
- Allergies run in my family.  Really nasty allergies.  More than likely my son will have them too, and it seems to be turning out that way.  I have never heard of a baby being allergic to breast milk.
- It gives the baby extra immunities.  Always a bonus.
- It helps the mom recover after having the baby.  Also, studies have shown that if a woman breastfeeds at least two years over the course of her lifetime, it decreases her risk of breast cancer.
I could go on, but I think my point has been made.  But just because this is something that I want to do does it mean that it is in any way, shape or form easy. 

When I started off, I thought that everything was happy and hunky-dory.  Then at one of my son's check-ups, the doctor mentioned that he wasn't gaining weight like he should.  I went to see a lactation consultant, and low and behold, I have a low milk supply.  I've tried to boost my supply, to no avail.  So we've had to supplement with formula. 

Like I mentioned, there are A LOT of allergies in my family.  This includes food allergies.  My son has allergies to milk and soy.  This means that he uses a hypoallergenic formula.  The liquid kind.  It's $9.49 a bottle.  He goes through at least 5 bottles a week.  It gets expensive to say the least.

Several days ago, a friend of mine posted a comment about WIC on Facebook.  This post mentioned how he actually saw WIC being used properly.  There were a couple of comments, two which referred to breastfeeding.  Both people mentioned how WIC shouldn't give vouchers for formula, that the mothers should breastfeed instead.  Well, these comments really got me thinking.  I'm lucky, my husband has a good job, and makes a good weeks paycheck.  We can afford for me to stay home with our son.  We can afford to buy the formula that we need.  We are in a comfortable situation.  Not everyone is that lucky.  Some people just need a little extra help to get to where they need to be.  I've known a few people in that situation, and they have gone on to be in a much better place.  Breastfeeding isn't for everyone.  Even though I have had a few bumps in the road with it, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.  But the thought of telling someone, you have to breastfeed, doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I think it should be highly encouraged, but not mandatory, and what happens to the mom's that just can't breastfeed for one reason or another?  I guess their babies just need to learn to eat solids at an early age. 

I have a question for the people who responded to my friends Facebook post.  Do they have kids and were those kids breastfeed?  If the answer is no, then maybe they should reconsider their comments.

I'm getting off my soapbox now. 

In other news, my wonderful hubby took me out for a date night.  (Pookie tagged along too, it's a good thing he's so cute!)  We went to Flatbread Pizza.  I love ordering the vegan pizza with pulled pork.  There is just something inherently ironic about that! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Rie, Jamie's allergic to soy? You're gonna have to cook like a madwoman, sister, because soy is literally in every single processed food! ACH!

    I'm so glad you've decided to blog! I feel like we can keep up with each other better, now!

    (I still haven't given up on coming for a visit . . . I'll email soon!)

    ReplyDelete