Monday, November 7, 2011

Over the river

Seeing as it was a beautiful day out, and there won't be too many left like today, I decided to take Pookie and go for a walk.  Not just around the block.  I decided to run errands.  Growing up we only had one car.  More often than not, my dad had it.  Every so often we would drop him off at work so mom could use the car.  Generally if mom and I needed to go somewhere it was either on foot or by bus.  Seeing as my mom like to go for walks, we went on quite a few adventures on foot.  Well, in my case I was in a stroller or back-pack carrier, until I got big enough to walk along.  The two of us had quite a few adventures going on those walks. 

I love the fall weather.  Over the summer it was too hot and humid to go very far.  But the crisp air has been calling to me.  I've been trying to get out as much as possible.  Lately I have been thinking about the walks that my mom and I went on.  Why can't Pookie and I go for those long rambling walks, too?  For the most part we have been making laps around the neighborhood.  If I'm feeling fancy, I'll pack us up and go around Hond Pond.  But as I was making laps around the neighborhood on Sunday, I started getting a little itchy.  There are a few shops relatively close by, why not venture forth.  Today I needed to run some errands, so I figured I might as well walk there.  I packed lunch and a few snacks for Pookie and away we went. 

There were a few places where the sidewalk disappeared.  But for the most part it was smooth sailing.  I took my time, went to a few stores and decided to get lunch.  It was great.  Pookie loves looking around, I got some exercise and my errands got done.  As I was walking along, I found a small stream that is near my house.  I have traveled that way every day for work, and I have never noticed it.  Nothing like a small wake-up call about stopping to smell the roses. 

When Rob got home from work, I told him what Pookie and I were up to today.  He was astounded to find out where I had walked to.  I had to remind him that when I worked at the bookstore, I was on my feet all day and I probably walked further than that on a regular basis.  Just making loops around the store, doing my job.  Now that I've set out on one errand seeking walk, I'm planning out the next one.  Hopefully I have awhile before the snow sets in and I head to the mall to get walks in.  Although there's nothing like window shopping...

1 comment:

  1. I walk to run errands all the time! (But I don't have a car, so that kind of happens, ya know?) My feet are definitely my favorite mode of transportation.

    ReplyDelete