Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ooh, somthing shiny!


I have no attention span.  I used to have one, then I became pregnant with Pookie.  Everything flew out the window at that point.  I used to be able to multitask.  At my old job at the bookstore, I needed to be able to do several things at once, and do them all well.  If I do say so myself, I was rather good at my job.  Outside of work I tried to keep the multitasking to a minimum.  I was so fried from doing it at work, I needed a break at home. But I still had an attention span.  Then I got knocked up.  By the time that it got rather bad, I was obviously pregnant, and I couldn't go three sentences without talking about food.  I still was good at my job, but not quite as good as I used to be.  I didn't care too much, because I knew I wasn't coming back after my maternity leave.  It also helps that people give pregnant ladies a lot of extra slack.


Then I had Pookie.  Any bit of brain I still had left, decided to take a vacation.  I can't seem to keep a straight thought in my head.  If someone is talking to me, I have to stop everything that I'm doing to pay attention to what they are saying.  Otherwise, forget it.  Rob makes fun of me because I will pause the TV if he is talking to me.  I keep telling him that I am trying to pay attention to what he has to say, and the TV is too much of a distraction.  It drives me nuts when I am trying to get Pookie to latch on and Rob is telling me something important.  I can only do one thing at a time.  Otherwise, if I have to prioritize, Pookie is coming first.


To top it all off, I'm forgetting things.  I know I'm sleep deprived.  I get very cranky when I don't get enough sleep, and I haven't gotten enough sleep in over 8 months.  The sleep deprivation is a component, but I'm blaming a lot of this on Mommy Brain.  There is a constant stream of: Where's Pookie, is he okay, does he need to be feed, when is the last time he ate, is his diaper wet, what is he getting into, is he bothering the dog, is he getting into the ant traps, is he getting into the trash, are his teeth bothering him, does he need a nap, what is he pulling him self up on, what is he grabbing for, what trouble is he getting into now?  That is a lot of things to think about all at the same time.  I know it crowds out some of the other thoughts in my head.  I like it when he's asleep, because it narrows the thoughts down to, is he asleep yet and is he awake yet?


Speaking of things forgotten.  We went out to dinner tonight.  Pookie had a long day and his nap schedule was completely off.  We sat in a booth at the restaurant and the had this booster seat contraption instead of a regular high chair.  Pookie spent most of the night rummaging through my bag.  We get home, and wouldn't you know it, Sophie the giraffe is missing.  Luckily the restaurant found it, so we just need to pick it up.  But to top it off, while we were at dinner, I was looking though my bag for the snack container.  I couldn't find it.  When we got home, I went searching, and I have yet to be able to find it at home.  Good lord only knows were it is.  Hopefully it will turn up soon.  It's a rather cute snack container.

No comments:

Post a Comment