Friday, September 23, 2011

Tactical Errors

Things have been a little crazy in our household.  Pookie's teeth are coming in.  Seeing as Pookie likes to do several milestones all at once.  Both the top two and the bottom two teeth are coming in.  All at the same time.  Ugh.  One night he woke up 6 times.  I ended up bringing him into my bed, just so I could get a little sleep.  I think all together I got about 3 1/2 hours of sleep that night.  The next morning I realized that I had made a tactical error.  Pookie was waking up because his nose was so clogged, he couldn't breath.  I pulled out the humidifier and put a pillow under Pookie's mattress and Pookie was good to go.  He's slept beautifully sense I have done that! 

When I went grocery shopping last week, I thought it was a good idea to buy teething biscuits.  I couldn't remember the brand that my mom used, so I got Earth's Best teething biscuits.  Which was tactical error number two.  When Rob, Pookie and I sat down for dinner that night, I gave him a biscuit to chew on while Rob and I were eating.  After chewing on it for a few minutes, Pookie proceeded to take a chunk off.  I got part of the chunk, but he swallowed the other half.  Then proceeded to choke on it.  I know how to do the Heimlich maneuver on babies, and luckily I didn't have to use that skill.  I went on to give him a Mum-Mum, which is a rice cracker that melts in your mouth.  Pookie proceeded to choke on that as well.  Then for dinner I gave him a stage 3 meal.  Which has chunks of food in it and was tactical error number three.  Pookie is used to inhaling the pureed baby food.  He was rather thrown off by the larger pieces of food, and proceeded to choke his way through his dinner.  I gave up about half way through and gave him regular sweet potatoes.  The funny thing is I give him small bites of food off my plate and he never has a problem with that.  Oh well.  I'm chalking it up to a texture thing.  After dinner was over, I decided to try one of the teething biscuits.  They were actually quite yummy.  I think they would be great with a cup of tea or coffee to dunk them in.  I don't think anyone would realize what they are if they were artfully arranged on a nice plate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment