Thursday, September 15, 2011

Visitors

The other day I looked out my window to see a visitor in my back yard. 


A rather cute groundhog.

And a bunny.

At least now I know what's eating my plants.  I have decided to name the groundhog Larry.  I think he looks a lot like a Larry, but that's just my opinion.  In addition to Larry and the multiple bunnies, we also have a turkey and her three babies.  The momma turkey walks with a limp, but she seems to do okay for herself.  I get a chuckle out of the wildlife that traipse through my back yard.  I live in a rather suburban area, but there is some open space behind our yard.  We get quite the variety of wildlife. 

In other happenings, I visited the store that I used to work.  I needed to return a book that I borrowed from a co-worker of mine.  She had lent it to me while I was still pregnant.  Seeing as Pookie will be 8 months on Sunday, the book really needed to get back to it's owner.  I completely lucked out, because as I was getting out of my car, I ran into N.  Excellent, that meant I didn't have to go into the store.  However, because I hadn't visited in a while, I decided to go in.  There is no such thing as a quick in and out.  Over an hour later Pookie and I finally made it out of there.  The funny part comes in when my friend decided to take Pookie and tease another co-worker with him.  As they departed I was looking at the paperbacks.  About a minute later I could hear this high-pitched screaming.  Holy Mackerel, it's my child.  I go booking it for the breakroom and L comes rushing out with Pookie, who is not only crying but has tears running down his face.  What happened?  Did you pinch the baby?  Nope, apparently Pookie was fine until L handed Pookie over to the other co-worker.  Then Pookie lost it.  Yep, that's my child.  Happy as a clam as long as he can see me.  As soon as I go missing, forget it. 

It was really nice being back at the store for a visit.  In a way, I really miss working there.  I miss seeing new people on a daily basis.  Hearing my co-workers stories.  Having that comradery of having to deal with crappy customers.  On the other hand, I don't miss having to deal with those same crappy customers.  Or having to meet various goals.  Or trying to juggle three things at once.  I will say that with the juggling, I could always call someone else to help out.  While now, I'm juggling and back-up isn't always there. 

Speaking of back-up, Rob was having issues today.  We went out to dinner tonight.  As I was getting Pookie's stuff together, Rob was being helpful and changed Pookie's diaper.  Well, considering that Pookie is now 8 months old, and is a very active little boy, diaper changes have turned into a sport.  How quickly can Pookie's diaper get changed with the minimal amount of damage?  He tries to roll one way, he grabs for the curtains, he decides to have an itch where the sun doesn't shine and, oh, don't start on the leg kicks.  Add a poopy diaper on top of that, and you can have quite the mess on your hands.  I'm in the kitchen and all of a sudden I hear Rob yelling followed by Pookie crying.  So I go down to investigate.  Calm Pookie down.  Calm Rob down.  Dispose of the poopy diaper remains and return to the kitchen.  Not a minute later, I hear Pookie crying again.  Go back down to investigate.  Now Rob is trying to snap Pookie back up.  I calm Pookie down, then calm Rob down and everything gets soothed over.  We finally make it to the car and as we are driving to the restaurant, Rob is explaining that he is cranky.  I reminded him that he is the adult and Pookie is the baby.  Unfortunately that means that as the adult, we need to remain calm so the baby remains calm.  I also reminded him that Pookie is teething and is more cranky than usual.  I gave him some tips to make diaper changing easier and he apologized that he yelled at Pookie.  The important thing is that Pookie had a clean diaper, regardless of how it got there!  I have to give Rob a lot of credit.  He works some crazy hours and doesn't get to spend as much time with Pookie as he would like.  The time that the do spend together is generally play time.  Rob doesn't get a lot of the day to day practice with things like bottles, diapers and clothing changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment