Friday, August 26, 2011

Channeling

When I moved to Massachusetts, I lived with my paternal grandparents, Louise and Vic.  They were a funny pair.  They had gotten into that rhythm that happens after two people have been together for years.  It drove me nuts if I had to be a passenger in a car with one of them driving.  Vic would be driving, Louise would be in the passenger seat, and I was in the back, with my eyes closed.  I had very good reason to keep my eyes either closed or adverted.  Louise would look to the right and say "all clear".  Vic would look to the left and say "all clear" and Louise would say "GO".  Mind you, Vic was the one driving.  Ugh.  I was in the back saying Hail Mary's, hoping that my number wasn't on the call list at the pearly white gates.  I don't know how they managed it, but they never got into an accident. 

The other day Rob and I were driving along.  I was driving and Rob was in the passenger seat.  We came to an intersection and I asked "all clear?", to which he replied "yep."  Holy mackerel, I'm channeling my grandparents.  As a side note, I did double check to make sure no one was coming from the right side before going.  However, I've noticed that it's not just that.  There are other little things.  Random stuff.  I didn't even notice some of it at first.  One of my aunts pointed out a few things.  I know part of it is when you live with people for an extended period of time, you pick up their habits.  It just makes me chuckle knowing that in several years Pookie and his siblings will be in the back seat saying Hail Mary's.  Hoping that their parents don't crash the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment