Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chicken, anyone?

Now that Pookie is on the move, he has started to terrorise the dog.  Bailey, the dog, and I have an interesting love/hate relationship.  I put up with him, he puts up with me.  I am not a pet person.  If I do have a pet, it's more along the line of a tortoise, bird or cat.  Cats however, I am rather allergic to.  I am to dogs as well, but to a lesser extent.  On the whole, I'm not a big fan of dogs.  I almost didn't date Rob because he had one.  But then I didn't think we would end up married with a child either, but that's another story.  My mom is terrified of dogs, so I have cultivated a healthy distance between dogs and myself.  I tolerate Bailey because he's Rob's dog.  Bailey is 12, so there may be another year or two still in him.  Now that I have all the animal lovers out there cringing, I'm sorry about that, back to the story.  The other day was very busy.  I vacuumed, made a few phone calls, brought Bailey to the groomers, went to see Rob at a job site, got a tour of a house, went grocery shopping, picked Bailey up from the groomers, got gas for my car, and went to Babies'R'Us.  Luckily Rob was home by the time I got back.  He was a doll and brought in the groceries while I feed a very hungry Pookie.

When I go grocery shopping, I like to pick up a roasted chicken.  I love roasted chickens!  One, I don't have to touch raw chicken, and two, I can get two dinners out of one chicken!  I'm all for that!  Whenever I'm cooking, Bailey likes to sit near me in hopes that I will drop something.  Nothing like a free snack.  Well, Pookie likes to be close to me as well.  Sometimes even sitting on my feet.  Pookie has started to try to pet Bailey.  Bailey will put up with it for a while, but other times, not so much.  Well, Pookie decided to go for Bailey's tag's on his collar.  Bailey didn't think too much of that, so he went to my other side.  Unfortunately for Bailey, that was a bit of a tactical error.  He was sitting between a shelving unit and the cupboards, and there wasn't a lot of space to maneuver.  Of course Pookie had to go over and start playing with the tag's again.  So to try to prevent a bit of a disaster, I took a few pieces of chicken and put them in Bailey's bowl.  For an old dog, Bailey can move very quickly when he wants to.  By the time I took the three steps to get to the food dish, Bailey was right there waiting for it and then it came.  CRASH!  Followed by the ear-piercing cry.  I turn around and there is Pookie, splayed out on top of the cooling racks.  The cooling racks live on the shelving unit.  I swoop up Pookie, trying not to get chicken bits on him, and calm him down.  I'm not entirely sure what happened.  My guess is that Bailey decided to go over Pookie as apposed to around him, taking out the cooling racks along the way.  Never get between Bailey and food!  I have no idea what I'm going to do once Pookie starts eating Cheerio's.  Especially considering that Cheerios's are Bailey's treats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment