Monday, August 22, 2011

Mommy Brain

Pregnancy Brain was tough.  All I could actually focus on was:
1. Where is my next meal coming from?
2. Where is the closest bathroom? 
Fortuitously for me, my good friend Amy was pregnant at the same time I was.  We had long conversations about what we had for breakfast and lunch, and then what we were planning on for dinner.  We talked about what are co-workers were eating, and what we had been craving that day.  Through out my entire day, food was constantly on my mind.  Oh, and don't get me started on snacks!  Yum, snacks!  I found it hard to focus on anything because all I could think about was when I was going to be able to eat again.  Rob would have to wait until I finished eating if he needed to tell me something important.  I don't know what he found worse.  My obsession with food, or having to go the bathroom every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.  I didn't really care, because as I've mentioned, all I could think about was food and the bathroom. 

I had hoped things would get better after Pookie was born.  No such luck.  It's just moved onto Mommy Brain.  I can't seem remember anything if I don't write it down.  The funny thing is, I don't really care.  Well, maybe a little.  As one of my aunts said, "You are so focused on your child, there isn't that much room left over for other thoughts."  She has a very good point.  For example, is Pookie awake or asleep?  If he's asleep, is he still breathing, is it too warm in his room, how much longer is he going to sleep for, I think I heard a noise emanating from his room is he waking up and how much time do I have until he's fully awake?   Then if he's awake, is he hungry, is he poopy, is his diaper wet, does he want to play in the Jumperoo, does he want to play with his toys on the floor, is he pulling the dog's tail, what did he just put in his mouth, where did he go he was just by me a second ago, OH MY GOD HE'S BY THE FLOOR LAMP!  Is he going to get brained by the lamp, the coffee table, the TV, the plant, the bookcase, the fill-in-the-blank?  As an FYI, the floor lamp is broken and is not very stable.  I'm on the market for a new one.  Also, there are all the bumps that come along.  The more tired Pookie is, the more he falls over.  This is fine on the carpet, but wood floors can be hard.  Then to top it all off, he is trying to pull himself up using the furniture.  Luckily Pookie has only been successful with that endeavor twice, and both things he used were somewhat low to the ground.  However, he tried pulling himself up using the sofa and that resounded in a large crash.   

You may ask why I'm going on about this.  Well, I had a thought for a post this morning.  I thought it was rather witty.  Do you think that I have any clue as to what it is now?  Um, that would be NO!  I have completely forgotten what it was.  Hopefully I think of it tomorrow.  It's bugging me that I can't think of it.  Hopefully one day I'll have my brain back.  I miss it.  Maybe I'll get a postcard from wherever it's having a vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment