Saturday, August 20, 2011

Husband proofing

Now that Pookie is on the move, and holy mackerel, is he on the move!  I have started to baby proof my home.  Luckily most plugs are out of Pookie's reach, but I need to re-organize what I have where.  I also need to baby proof the kitchen.  I've started by latching the cupboard under the sink in both the kitchen and the bathroom.  The only problem is that Rob has a hard time with it.  Not only are the latches good for keeping babies out, they also stump the husband!  Rob has managed to figure out how the thing works, but he glares at it ever time he has to use it. 

It would probably help if the latches weren't the really cheap ones.  You have to slide the push button thing-a-ma-bobber off of the U-shaped doo-hicky-thing.  The trick comes in putting the push button thing-a-ma-bobber back on the U-shaped doo-hicky-thing.  If things aren't lined up properly, forget it.  It's never going back on.  I am now on the market for better ones.  I also have the push-down latch thingies, but those require screws.  (Don't y'all just love all the technical terms that I'm using?) 

It's astounding how much trouble one little person can get into.  Pookie is continuing to work on his pulling himself up skills.  I know he will be walking soon, the question is how soon.  Also, it's not just learning how to walk, it's learning how to RUN!  One of my younger brothers was a runner.  My mom had to get a leash for him so she didn't loose him.  I think I need to start shopping for a leash for Pookie.  I fully realize that quite a few people don't like leashes.  It's one of those polarizing things.  Either you love it or you hate it.  I personally think they are wonderful!  There are some kids you don't need them with.  They stay put and don't wander away too quickly.  Then there are the runners.  Run first, think later.  I think Pookie will fall under the second category.  I do not want to lose my child.  At first Rob did not like them, but last year at the Topsfield Fair, we saw a lost little girl.  The crowd was so thick, she just misplaced her parents and they didn't realize they had lost her.  Luckily someone helped the little girl to find her parents.  It could have easily ended very badly for her.  I feel that a leash allows the child the freedom of movement within reason.  I found a rather cute one at amazon.com, but I also want to see what else is out there.  I also found this one from Liberte Apparel, which I think is really cute.  I just wished that it came in more colors for boys.  Or at least something gender neutral. 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha LOVE this post- so very true. We have alot of kids at work who start making mad dashes before they've even mastered walking yet! Matt told me he was a leash kid for a brief phase when he kept wandering away from your mom in shopping malls- lol =)

    ReplyDelete